Hydrogen Project Engineer Reports to: Hydrogen Technical and Programme Manager
Business Opportunity Manager
Reports to: Managing Director Hydrogen
Based out of Aberdeen office with virtual working acceptable for 2 days/week. Frequent UK travel expected, at least once per month to other Storegga office or site locations.
Main Purpose of Position:
Storegga is a decarbonisation company, with a portfolio comprising Carbon Capture, Storage and
Hydrogen projects. Storegga’s Hydrogen Business Unit is developing low-carbon hydrogen projects across the UK and is planning to produce its first hydrogen from the Cromarty Green Hydrogen project in 2026 and Speyside Hydrogen in 2027, supported by the UK Government’s hydrogen production business model. Storegga is deploying a regional hydrogen hub model, underpinned by strong customer demand, and is also developing opportunities to export hydrogen and hydrogen derivatives to other markets.
Storegga is expanding its team at the forefront of the development of this critical new industry. We are looking for an experienced project manager to lead the delivery of a significant green hydrogen project in the North of Scotland. We’re looking for someone who has significant experience in the delivery of capital projects involving the management of multi-disciplined workstreams as well as sub-contractors. The individual should be skilled in building relationships with external stakeholders and partners and securing internal investment decisions. The individual should also be a team player, enjoy working as part of a collaborative, agile, working environment and a creative problem solver. Whilst open to applications from different sectors, this role is most suited to someone from an energy background.
Accountable for the delivery of one of Storegga’s green hydrogen projects from concept select through to final investment decision and into project delivery, including:
- Accountable for the project specific HSSE plan in all aspects of project delivery. Responsible for ensuring project has considered all aspects of health, safety, environmental and consenting requirements and work closely with relevant teams within Storegga to ensure the right resources are being deployed and quality of subcontracted work is of a high standard.
- Responsible for all aspects of project management related to specific hydrogen project. Deliver recommendations on key project decisions to Hydrogen Managing Director and Storegga Executive Committee.
- Coordination and management of internal and third party resources to deliver all commercial and technical aspects of each project development stage.
- Leading the
- Responsible for delivering recommendations to Hydrogen leadership team on key project decisions.
- Maintaining focus on key value drivers and ensuring prioritisation of activities to ensure project can meet equity return thresholds and can be project financed.
- Manage project risks and opportunities, maintaining up-to-date risk and opportunity registers.
- Responsible for the delivery of applications, due diligence and Best and Final Offer processes related to UK government hydrogen business model support.
- Responsible for ensuring project satisfies internal stage gate requirements and supports MD Hydrogen with securing internal approvals.
- Responsible for management of joint venture partnership interfaces, including securing partner approvals for critical decisions prior to final investment decision.
- Develop and manage the project’s development plan, budget and schedule.
- Mitigate critical path delays through effective project decision making.
- Working together with the Hydrogen Technical and Programme Manager and Supply Chain Lead, develop the strategy for delivering technical work through outsourcing to third parties. Ensure robust technical and project definition and management of the delivery of technical work packages for Concept Development, Pre-FEED and FEED activities.
- Develop and maintain a thorough understanding of relevant regulations and best practice for the growing hydrogen industry and associated utilities.
- Engage across the Storegga organisation to develop and apply best practice, support key activities and engagements on an ad-hoc basis.
- Provide input into monthly board reports and ExCom decisions for the Managing Director of Hydrogen.
- Lead all project level requirements associated with project financing, including working with Corporate Finance team and liaising with advisors as required.
- Ensure innovative and entrepreneurial solutions are delivered when solving problems and in generating and delivering project decisions
- Develop and maintain excellent relationships and communications channels with Customers, Partners, Stakeholders, Regulators and Government including for example DESNZ and the wider Storegga business group.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience across the project and operations lifecycle in the energy and major projects sector – across either hydrogen, oil and gas, utilities, renewables sectors.
- Experience in management and coordination of a multi-disciplined work programme associated with the delivery of a capital project (s), ideally through to commissioning and operations. Candidate should ideally have a project management background and training.
- An integrator with significant experience leading, managing and resourcing teams to meet the requirements of projects (technical, finance, legal). Experience in managing resources and decisions in a matrix organisational structure an advantage ie. where resources to deliver are not within your direct reporting line.
- Experience in progressing projects through internal investment decision gates, taking a proactive approach to risk and opportunity management to enhance and protect value. Experience in preparation of management presentations, setting out value proposition, recommendations, board papers. Comfortable dealing with senior management / leading discussion and debate.
- Experience in managing third party/ contractor resources for delivery of key work packages.
- Broad energy industry understanding, ideally with understanding of Energy Transition challenges.
- Understanding / exposure to annual Business Planning process and experience managing project specific budgets.
- Excellent communication skills, with ability to influence and build effective relationships with different types of stakeholders.
- Experience in working in joint venture environments and managing obligations under standard joint venture agreements.
- Experience managing contractors and delivery of work-scopes by third parties.
- Ability to handle multiple assignments and tasks while meeting deadlines.
- Ability to think broadly / conceptually and live with uncertainty.
- The successful candidate will have a track record of delivery and impact – and the ability to apply
- that experience to progressing opportunities and projects to value through significant uncertainty.
- Desirable – experience and learning from developing, scaling, and deploying technologies through rigorous technology readiness approaches.
- Desirable – experience or understanding of emerging energy transition technologies and projects as may be related to hydrogen.
- Desirable – an awareness of the requirements of project financing.
- Desirable – experience working within a range of company and project sizes, to bring best practices combined with the pace and fit for purpose ethos of a start-up.
- Degree education.
- Strong commitment to Safety and the Environment.
- Work collaboratively and in partnership while ensuring there is clear direction.
- Take responsibility for problems and developing solutions together.
- Empower and support others to deliver the business objectives.
- A collaborative, resilient and tenacious leader.
- Self-starter with good planning and organisation.
- A motivator and integrator as well as a doer, able to deliver value at pace.
- Ability to apply knowledge and skills to new and emerging technologies and sectors.
- Ability to shape and develop standard working practices, identify gaps and propose solutions.
- Able to synthesise and integrate technical and commercial information to identify risks, opportunities and drive project forward in line with key value drivers.
- Ability to build relationships and influence stakeholders to support achievement of business objectives.
- Ability to communicate technical and commercial information to internal and external stakeholders, in a clear, concise manner.
Please submit a cover letter and CV to email@example.com